Monday 4 May 2015

Early morning stroll in Thimphu

On the day we were departing from Thimphu, I went for a walk with my camera to capture the morning activities at Thimphu. As I stepped out, the prayers and drum beats from the opposite hotel greeted me. Smoke from incense sticks sneaked out from the rooftop of the hotel and glided down on to the footpath.

The mist was reluctantly detaching from the hills. Adults and children, dressed in their traditional clothes, were going to their offices or schools. Cars had already warmed up, and were following traffic rules. The famous traffic policeman enacted his role of regulating the thin traffic. He was trying hard to control his smile, as I photographed him and his morning drama. I strongly believe that he (and his traffic-post) is the most photographed person at Thimphu!

I walked further down, and saw the almost empty streets. Previous evening, the streets were packed with people - locals and tourists. Shops, bars, and eat-outs were filled with people. Some men were drunk and high. The strange silence (of the morning) hit me hard like a ball of snow. Just as I was thinking to myself, "Well, yes, I could get used to such serenity," I saw a lady talking nonstop over the cellphone. That's the universal silence breaker.

One question that I had was about how Thimphu manages its waste. I hesitated asking this question to our guide because I knew eyebrows would be raised and I would get a monosyllable reply. Later during the travel I researched online and found out that the Bhutan government has two plans - Clean Bhutan and Green Thimphu. The Clean Bhutan project is to clean the rivers and other water sources. Currently, most of the waste was being used in landfill. The government aims to reduce the percentage of waste in landfill and practice - Rethink, Reduce, Recycle, and Reuse - to attain zero waste.

I saw garbage collection trucks taking all the waste. In one of my photo collages, you can see a sample segregation of waste - cardboard, hardboard, and so on. Garbage was neatly placed inside the bins; no spill. As tourists, it's our duty to respect the place's effort towards a clean-green environment, and to act responsible. Of course, we have a lot to learn from this little place. For further reading, refer Waste Management Policy in Bhutan.

I found a cute little bookstore; was glad that it was open early. Went inside, picked a book, got a discount because I was the first customer, and left. I would have walked further down but realized that our guide and driver would soon arrive. I re-traced my steps to the hotel. When I walked up the road, the board - Swiss Bakery - teased me again. Reviews (on travel websites) mentioned that this bakery has delicious pastries and savory dishes; but throughout our stay at Thimphu, the bakery remained closed. Absolute tease!

The famous traffic policeman and his surroundings



I enjoyed my morning walk; I hope that you enjoyed reading about it.

Good day!

Regards,
Asha (Sep 2014)

No comments:

Post a Comment